August 30, 2009

About that time I was sick...

In an attempt to get caught up on some of the major happenings of this summer, I'm going to tackle it one topic at a time, and not necessarily in order. Why? I don't know. But maybe it will explain the extended absences mixed with the lame half-a*ssed (*'s for mom's work filter, remember?) returns.

So let's see.

Well...

I spent the end of June and almost ALL of July sick as a dog.

It started with a super fun combination of laryngitis, bronchitis, and strep throat. I managed to lose my voice ENTIRELY for 5+ days. Let me tell you how fun that was - especially when I was working a few 10 hour days at cycling races and had to communicate with everyone via walkie-talkie. It was a lost cause. Even whispering was difficult. I felt like I had climbed a flight of stairs after the effort it would take to push out just one sentence. Bad news. Then there were days I couldn't swallow, days I didn't sleep because I would cough all night.

UGLY.

I went to the doctor, got antibiotics and some other good fun drugs.

And then I thought I was better after about 3.5 weeks.

For like two whole days.

WRONG AGAIN, CHIEFTAIN.

After 2 whole days of feeling great and finally indulging in a nice, summery, ice cold beer, my throat started getting sore again. And then I couldn't swallow.

Oh! And there was that morning (before I was leaving for work) that I almost passed out in the shower. I had to lay down in the tub and turn the water off with my feet. That was fun.

Then I drove 40 minutes to sit in the sun on a super humid day for 2 hours.

As soon as I got back, I went to the walk-in clinic doctor that I see through our private insurance. He thought it was still the same thing and did a strep test (negative) and told me to drink a lot of gatorade and soup. Umm. Sure.

He also did an x-ray of my ribs because I managed to either sprain/strain/or hairline fracture one from coughing so hard.

A few days later I still felt miserable. Perhaps MORE miserable....and now I couldn't hear out of my right ear and the left one was feeling weird. I had a standing appointment at the VA a few days later because they like to see you at least once a year. I was going to cancel it, but since I still felt crappy and my old doctor there (that I couldn't stand) was finally gone, I decided to keep it.

My new VA doctor? AWESOME. I love her. Not as much as the one I had in Fresno, but still, I like her a lot. AND...she didn't tell me to east some soup and drink some gatorade. She actually examined me again, which is kind of more (or at least different) than the walk-in doctor did.

Turns out my other stuff had evolved into pneumonia and a double ear infection! Awesome. I also needed to start using an inhaler and she said there was a chance I'd need it in the future now that I had been so sick for so long

So that took some more time to get over. I was very weak for quite awhile and my hearing didn't return very quickly either. I was still sick when we left for our week long anniversary road trip...

...which I'll write about next time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, how horrible! I always manage to get bronchitis in the spring with at least one or two days where I lose my voice, but thankfully it's only a day or two.

I'm hoping that you feel better now...

Anonymous said...

I am, thank you!

Badgergirl said...

Ugh! Glad to hear you're feeling better.

I have to admit, I hope the "next time" includes something about that little tracker you've got at the top of your blog. :)

mak'n Changes said...

HEY! I just found your page and it says you are 5 and 1/2 weeks pregnant! ME TOO! what are the odds. *wink* congrats on the little one inside you!

cindie

Accidentally Me said...

OK...I am super slow in responding to people who left me comments, and since you have no email address published, you get a comment!

Super, super excited for you! I know you have written about how much you were looking forward to having kids, so it is fantastic to see that you are as knocked up as I am...lol. Actually, A little bit more knocked up, since I think I am about a month behind you:-)

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker