So there is this athletic training room...also known as "my office that everyone in the world seems to have the key to".
I would say 3-4 days a week when I get to work, said door is unlocked. I find this inappropriate, rude, and irresponsible of whoever is opening it and not locking it. Either no one is in there and it is wide open, or kids are in there helping themselves to whatever isn't locked up or bolted down.
What's wrong with that, you ask? You mean athletic trainers don't just know how to pour water and tape ankles?
No. I didn't spend 5 years (7, now that I'm about to get my MS degree) in college learning how to pour water and tape an ankle. My colleagues and I know a plethora of other things. We are certified and licensed providers of certain kinds of medical care for crying out loud. Not your f-cking band-aid-giver-outer.
A few days ago, a teacher (or coach - who knows) let an athlete in there with no supervision and this kid spent 12 minutes in the ice bath at a temperature about 15+ degrees lower than is safe. Why? Because he thought if it was colder, he would get better faster.
I've also had similar things happen with kids putting a moist heat pad on without extra padding because they thought if it was hotter it would work better and faster.
Dude.
So anyway...I'm losing the point of my story about the unlocked doors.
Today I get to my office door with my hands full - laptop bag, keys, and purse in one-hand, fresh extra-hot cup of Americano from Starbucks in my left hand.
I don't check to see if the door is unlocked. I was in an awful mood. I didn't want to know.
I turn the key with the right hand, and push the heavy door forward with the left (burning hot coffee) hand.
As I start to reach for the light switch in the pitch black room, I glance up and get a quiet "Boo!"
HOLYEFFINGSONOFAWHATTHEEFFINGHELL*#*@&%^!%!!!!!!!!!!!
Standing there inches from my face in the dark is one of our biggest offensive linemen waiting there to scare THE HOLY BEJEEZUS out of me.
The extra fresh burning hot coffee?
Running down my bare hand and arm almost as fast as the swear words are flying out of my mouth.
This simultaneously pissed me off even more but made me laugh. This is one of the least-scary kids I've ever met in my life. No, he should not have - for any reason - done what he did...but if it had to be, couldn't it have been a day where I didn't have the coffee in hand?
It helps that he feels terrible.
And that he realizes that I'm going to give him hell about this incident until the day he graduates.
As for my hand, it's a little red and sore, but not very noticeable which is surprising but good. Athletic trainers need their hands almost as much as surgeons do...well...on a smaller scale anyway.
1 comment:
As messed up as that is, it's really pretty funny!
P.S. Thanks for your tips on Blogger Draft. They helped alleviate some of my frustrations :)
Post a Comment