June 4, 2009

About my (first so far) interview last week

It's that time.  Time to be stressed the hell out and hoping that someone, ANYONE, will want to interview me so I can wow them with my stunning personality (to make up for my lack of most skills unrelated to athletic training).

I'm not going to say where the interview was, or for what position, but you will probably get the general idea.  I'm pasting this from a post I wrote on a message board to some of my friends because I'm feeling generally down and lazy today.  Or most days.

So anyway.

It went...ok I guess. It was a performance based interview which was pretty much The Suck. I did ok. I had huge brain block on a couple questions and on the others I think my examples were pretty weak. I felt bad giving a bunch of examples from athletic training but that has been my life for so long that that is what I know. Of course, after the interview was over I thought of 8 million better answers to each question that would have highlighted my skills a little better. Oh well. C'est la vie.

It was a fairly laid-back interview at least, and I acted pretty natural and exuded some confidence (even though I had none) and drew a few laughs/smiles when called for.

I was only expecting one or two people interviewing me. No. There were FIVE.
3 Social Workers, 1 psychologist/suicide prevention program coordinator, and the admin support supervisor. They were all women, very nice, and not stuffy at all. It also took an hour. I'm very glad that the one thing I decided to focus on in my small amount of prep time for this was the questions for them at the end.

A few of the positive highlights:

* They looked VERY surprised when I said that yes, I did in fact have questions for them. My questions also inspired about a 15 or so minute discussion amongst/with the interviewers about what they find rewarding and fulfilling in their respective jobs and how they got into what they are doing now. As it was winding down, one of them said something like "Wow...that was almost a therapeutic discussion. Not sure that's ever happened in an interview before."

* The admin support lady walked me to the elevators and told me I answered well, which I found surprising. Not sure if she was listening to the same things coming out of my mouth and saying that to be nice or not but whatever. It was nice of her to say.

* Another one of the interviewers followed us out and said "Hold on! I want to give you something from the deleted health fair!" and ran to her office to give me a little package with a mug and a nice pen.

So...in the span of an hour I managed to initiate therapy (to therapists) and left with a gift.

Also, before I left the house, I found a broken belt loop in my new shirt, so I safety pinned it. But a few minutes later when I got to my car, I looked down and realized my left pant leg was halfway unhemmed, so I had to sacrifice the belt loop in order to safety pin the pants. I am a mess. At least the broken belt loop from the shirt was covered by my cute black cardigan that I stole from my mom.

It would be a good job.  Normal  hours, good benefits, holidays and weekends off.  I'd like it, I think.

For about 3 months.

Then I would miss the blood.  The injuries.  The people.  The sports.

But I don't really have a lot of choice in the matter.  And I would be stupid not to take it if offered.

3 comments:

Melaina25 said...

Sound like it went well! I always ask interviewers questions (including their fave/least fave thing about their job) and it always seems to surprise them.

I think most people don't want to rock the boat; turing the tables (in a positive way) is a good thing!

Dani K said...

My bff said your experience was similar to her experience and she was hired there for an internship. So, hopefully that's a good sign and you get an offer!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it went well...good luck!

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker