June 6, 2009

Tornadoes

Growing up in Oregon and California, tornadoes and threats of tornados are not something that I ever had to worry about or prepare for growing up.  They were something I saw on The Wizard of Oz, but otherwise didn't think twice about.  Ever.

Then I moved to Wisconsin, where torndaoes happen.  I have no fear of them - although I probably should.  I don't think of them very often either.

So...why do I dream about them all the time?  Even more so in the last few months?

Obviously I did what every sane and logical person does when they wonder something.

I consulted the interwebs.

I believe that dreams we have can be mundane and meaningless, but I also believe they can symbolize things and try to give us a hint or wake-up call about something going on somewhere in our lives if we choose to listen to them.


None of the  results for "tornado" are very good. (shocking!).  Let's have a look:

Tornados

  • To see a tornado in your dream, suggests that you are experiencing some extreme emotional outbursts and temper tantrums. Is there a situation or relationship in your life that may be potentially destructive? 
  • To dream that you are in a tornado, signifies that you are feeling overwhelmed and out of control. You will be met with a series of disappointments for the next week or so. Your plans will be filled with complications.
  • To see several tornadoes in your dream, represent people around you who are prone to violent outbursts and shifting mood swings. It may also symbolize a volatile situation or relationship.
 
Tornado
If you dream that you are caught up in a tornado, or see other people in one, or you are in danger from a tornado, then you will find all your well laid business plans come to naught and failure will dog your footsteps until you do something to change your chances of success; more education, better training or so forth.

Tornado
Tornadoes are wild out of control storms that represent that the dreamer feels like their life in in a whirlwind. The stresses and problems in the waking world can be represented in a dream in the form of a tornado coming after you, your house or loved one. A dream about a tornado represents some sort of turmoil in your life. Do you feel like your life is spinning out of control? 

Yikes.

That was creepy.

I wonder how a person gets the job of making up the descriptions/interpretations for dreams.  I'm sure that many of the people writing things like that have little to no factual basis for what they write and are just very creative people that have a complete mastery of symbolism.

(PS...you like how I did that?  Completely avoided discussing the rest of the topic?  Yeah.  Me too.)

2 comments:

Dani K said...

Ohhh, I like the new blog!

I wonder if it has anything to do with graduating and now being on the great job hunt? That can certainly lead to feeling out of control?

Jess P said...

I hav no idea how to interpret your dreams, other than to say that I have dreams about tornadoes too. I am 99.9% sure mine have to do with my actual fear of them, though. My husband finds my terror over a tornado watch completely amusing.

Maybe he won't find it so amusing if I just kick him in the nuts next time he laughs at me while I cower in the basement in fear obsessively watching the weather.

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker