March 10, 2009

How about some Tuesday TMI?

Disclaimer: The topic is birth control and periods and me.

I'm telling you right now, if you can't handle it, exit this page. I've mentioned that very little embarrasses me and I don't keep a lot of stuff to myself.

So for the first time in 16 years I am not on any form of birth control. I was put on birth control before I ever had sex because I used to have horribly wicked cramps. At least that's how I remember it. Mom?

Anyway, I was on the pill forever, then I tried Depo Provera (the shot) and that was a horrible experience. Then I went back to the pill for awhile but for some idiotic reason decided to give Depo a chance again. That was dumb and 10x worse than the first chance I gave it. Back to the pill...then...then I found love. I found the Mirena IUD.

It was amazing. Sure, it hurt like hell going in, and sure, I bled for a couple weeks after that, but then I lived a very blissful period-free 4+ years.

I...well...WE (I guess this is a good time to use "we" though, isn't it?) decided that now is a good time to sing a little Que Sera Sera and let whatever "be". So we aren't really "trying"...we just aren't avoiding, either.

You can only plan so much, and when is there ever the "right" time? There are bad times for it, and better times for it, but no "right" time, no instruction manual, and no amount of mental preparation is really enough...so what else can you do?

So here we are.

Also...today I found out how long it takes for your period to return after a 4+ year IUD induced absence.

8 days.

And those 14 year old girl cramps? Suddenly I remember them as though it were yesterday. Awesome!

4 comments:

Melaina25 said...

I was fully expecting some TMI type stuff, but maybe it's my sexual health background, but it wasn't TMI in the least!

Hope the cramps get better; camp out on the couch with a hot water bottle, some booze and chocolate.

Dani K said...

I'm sorry about the cramps. I used to get them extremely bad before I did my 14 year stint with BCP. I went off BCP a few years ago and I still get them, but usually not as bad as I did. They still suck though and on rare occasion, they are as crippling as they once used to be.

Dani K said...

Oh, and I was expecting WAY worse from you given the disclaimer :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it wasn't really TMI to me either, but some people are sensitive to crap like that, you know?

Like "who writes about their whole birth control history on their blog?" or something. You never know who is going to be judgey.

Plus, I thought it would be a nice disclaimer for my grandparents who read the blog, just in case my openness isn't their thing...although they don't really get the option when they see me in real life and I'm exactly the same. :)

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker