Happy Birthday A!
My oldest little sister is 14 years old today. I can't believe how old this makes me feel fast time goes by. I was in high school when she was born, and now she is starting high school.
High school.
Scary.
No, high school itself isn't scary - but the things I was doing at 14 - oh man. THAT is scary. Things that make 29 year old me blush in shame. She is a much better kid than I was, THANK GOD. Her situation is also a lot different than mine. When I was 14 years old, we lived in Portland, Oregon. I was a hard-core latch-key kid. Our mom was only 31 years old when I was 14. Our income was much lower (though not bad), our neighborhood much different, society much different.
Hell, I didn't even know what the INTERNET was when I was 14.
Kurt Cobain was still alive.
So were flannel shirts.
My life at 14 was not bad by any means. I don't mean anything I said in a negative way - it was just a very different world than hers is now. I would not trade it for anything, and I definitely would not want to be a teenager today. NO. WAY.
I'm very proud of her.
4 comments:
Oh that is such a cute picture:-)
Do you live near her? I know you have moved around a bit, but are you close enough to see her often?
Thanks! I haven’t seen her in a year. They live in San Diego, and we’re in Milwaukee. I’ll see her and my youngest little sister at our wedding next month though. They are both bridesmaids.
Do you know that I was graduating high school when your sister was born, give or take a few days? Yikes….
Anyways, Happy Birthday Jessie’s sister!
She’s a cute kid!
Post a Comment