We ended up driving up to Kewaunee yesterday so we could get out for a bit, relax, and go be jealous at all the people with boats heading out to Lake Michigan to go fishing. After the boat-ogling was over we stopped at Kunkels Korner Restaurant (formerly Larry and Mona's) and had burgers and THE best fried cheese curds EVER. I seriously believe that once we buy ourselves a house in Milwaukee, we will be buying a vacation house in Kewaunee for the whole family to use! Houses are so cheap there, and the fishing is fantastic. There are lots of cute little bars and diners and it's a great area. I won't blabber on about all my dreams for the family and the vacation house up there, but it's going to be so much fun! Corey's family used to have one up there so I think we should bring back a tradition!
We got some talking about ceremony/reception sites in on the way so that made me feel a lot better. I think our biggest problem is not having any idea what we want, we just want to be married. Corey drove by a church a few days ago and had me look in to it online, and it seems like a place I'd actually like to attend church once in a while. I wrote to them and the pastor there wrote me back with a bunch of info, sooo....we went to church today!
When I was a kid, I thought church was fantastic...we got to color, sing songs, play games...what kid doesn't love that? When I got older, I never really wanted to go. When I got out of the army, I went with my mom once in awhile, but I've always been a little annoyed by the part where you have to turn and meet the people around you. Petty, I know. I feel like it's forced small talk - something I've never been a fan of. I've never disliked church, I just feel like religion is a very personal thing and that you don't have to go to church and meet other people in order for it to be valid. This is probably coming out much worse than I mean for it to.
Anyway, I was actually a little excited to go to church this morning for the first time in my adult life. It may have been because I hadn't been in so long, or it may have been because I think it would be a good way to meet some nice people, or it may have been the idea that if we like it there and become members, we'd have a place that means something to both of us to get married in and by a pastor who actually knows us.
This church was very different compared to other churches I've been to. For starters, it's a big, old, historic church with high ceilings and stained glass windows instead of a converted office building. Not that there is anything wrong with converted office buildings - it just felt like a different atmosphere. I also don't recall ever having pastors that wore robes - only suits. Today, to my surprise, I learned that I prefer more "traditional" church than newer ones. My mom's church is pretty young, and new, and they sing along with guitars and keyboards and vocalists to a more upbeat song on the powerpoint presentation (that my mom probably made or is operating) projected up on the wall. At this church, we sang from hymnals and to a a big pipe organ along with the two pastors (one is an associate pastor). I don't know why I prefer this more "old school" method, to the more upbeat, casual, one - but I do. I think it is a church that I will go back to.
In order to get married at this church, we have to attend a Bible Information Class once a week for 10 weeks, and attend a pre-marriage seminar. After that you are given the option to become members. If you become members, the church is $150, if you don't become members, it's $500. If we are going to go through the classes and go there fairly regularly anyway, we might as well become members, right?
We also have some progress on a reception spot. There is a place on Lake Michigan, just south of downtown that is pretty and inexpensive to rent, plus we'd be able to bring in the caterers of our choice, which would save some money. Now I just need to figure out how renting linens and dishes and bar service works, because I have no idea whatsoever.
Anyway, this is long, and I am sleepy.
3 comments:
Good luck on all your planning!
What church is this? It looks so familiar to me. It’s been driving me nuts all week.
Thanks Evie!
Farrah - It’s Grace Lutheran on Broadway and Juneau.
Post a Comment