January 1, 2009

2008 Year in Review

I stole this from a few people.  I feel like I'm taking the easy way out in reflecting on the last year, but I look at it more as a "guided tour" since I just haven't been in the mood to organize my thoughts on my own lately.

Plus, I'm on vacation still.  Sorta.


1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?


Married someone for the RIGHT reasons. 

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Last year I decided that 2008 would be the year I quit smoking.  I did.  Cold turkey...and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.  Yes, from time to time I had a cigarette while out drinking, but over time I have become more and more disgusted by even that.  If I try to have one without at least a couple beers, I end up dry-heaving and feeling sick for hours afterwards.  That helps making it easy to avoid.  At this point I can't even really have one while drinking without feeling sickly.  I also don't drink very often.

Now if only Corey could do this so easily.  He's starting the patch (for the 12th-ish attempt) again tomorrow.  We'll see.  I feel bad for not having a lot of hope.

This year I resolve to get healthier and active and to a healthy BMI.  I also resolve to be a better wife.  I don't think I've been very attentive.  We need to spend more quality time together when we have it instead of being next to each other but in our own little worlds.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

I have quite a few friends that had babies this year, but the one I am probably closest to is Sheila and her son K (name abbreviated to protect the innocent).  I spent most of the summer babysitting the little guy and got to see a lot of his early development and we had a lot of fun together.  He was particularly fond of my Lil' Jon impressions. 

4. Did anyone close to you die?

I wasn't close to him - I probably haven't seen him since he was in grade school, but my cousin Zach was hit and killed by a train in Oregon due to some really stupid drunken behavior. You can read about it here if you want.
5. What countries did you visit?

I didn't get to go anywhere else this year, unfortunately.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

A full time job, a fetus, and some motivation would be fantastic.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Probably just July 26th - our wedding day!  I can't think of any other "special" days.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I don't think I really achieved much this year other than planning the wedding.  I lived through another year of annoying grad school but I'd hardly consider that an achievement.

9. What was your biggest failure?

My new running hobby at the beginning of July.  EPIC FAIL.  I ran ONCE.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not exactly.  I had a lot of insomnia/sleep quality/fibromyalgia medication trial and error.  I feel like I might finally have a winner with the Lyrica.  Maybe.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

I'm in sweet sweet love with my Canon G10.  Isn't it pretty?  Shiny!



12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

This is hard.  My family and the great friends I've made here are not celebrated enough.  I am grateful for them all!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

I'm going to have to jump on the Sarah Palin bandwagon here. 

14. Where did most of your money go?

Gas, paying down my debt, and to Bare Minerals products. Sad but true.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Having so many of our friends and family in one place to celebrate our marriage with us.  Moving in to an awesome duplex in a great neighborhood.  Going to San Diego for Christmas and getting to take a nice detour to Portland to see my dad and grandma and drunkles (even though I didn't have luggage for 3 days).

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?

Either Sittin' At A Bar by Rehab or Love In This Club by Usher.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? Happier

b) thinner or fatter? 20+ lbs fatter :(

c) richer or poorer? Richer (because I've paid down a lot of my debt)

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

I wish we would have explored more of Milwaukee and that I'd been more active.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Stuffing my face, working harder than I needed to in grad school since it's so lame and easy, bitching about a few things/people that pissed me off. 

20. How did you spend Christmas?

With my family in San Diego, watching movies and eating cookies.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?

Yep, all over again.  The moment that stands out in my mind is the time Corey and I spent alone in the car after we did our family pictures at the park but before the ceremony back at the house.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Heroes and LOST.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

I wouldn't say "hate", but I definitely feel different about a few people.

24. What was the best book you read?

I'm going to have to ride on Krista and Sara's bandwagon and say the Twilight Series and The Kite Runner.  I loved them both but in very different ways and for different reasons.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

I got on a big Bitter:Sweet and Shiny Toy Guns kick.  I can't claim the discovery of either one.

26. What did you want and get?

Some of our flight to CA paid for and a tripod for my sweet new camera!

27. What did you want and not get?

A hand vacuum.  You can bet I'll be buying myself one within a week :)

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

I rarely meet a movie that I don't like. I'm easily amused.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

This was the year I turned 30.  I spent the night of my birthday at work with the girl's basketball teams.  A few nights later, Corey and I went to bd's Mongolian Grill - it was delicious!

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Not having to be in grad school.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

The typical athletic training uniform (with the addition of jeans): polo's, khaki pants, t-shirts, windbreaker pants.  Other than that I wore sweats and pajamas.

32. What kept you sane?

Finally being able to sleep and my friends (local, long distance, and of the freaky internet variety).

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I honestly can't think of any. 

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

No issue in particular.  My only issue was the ridiculousness that was Sarah Palin.  This was also the first time I didn't vote Republican.  Shh...don't tell my family.  Hi family!

35. Who do you miss?

All of my family in California and Oregon (and the 2 in Georgia!).  I also miss the army.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

I am not actually sure I even met any new people this year.  Although I did finally meet some more of my FIF's in person for the first time last week and that was great (and overdue!).  Hi Jess, Anne, and Becky!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.

Suck it up and drive on. 

I actually learned that in the army a long long time ago, but it still applies.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Baby, it's cold outside.

1 comment:

Accidentally Me said...

I see you love chain mail, meme's and other random things...lol...good, because I have another one for you!

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker