I am currently wishing that I had waited until after The Big Scary Alberta Clipper to see our $376 WE energies bill. You see, *I'm* the one responsible for the electric bill (even though I'm NOT the one that is always cold) and in my opinion, spending almost 1/2 of my meager monthly pay on the heating bill is pretty fucking unacceptable. But...so is asking my husband who pays the rent (and doesn't exactly make a lot more than I do) to pay for half.
So...the thermostat is set at 60 (I even had to argue to get it there and 60 isn't even that cold) we are piled under large piles of grandma's quilts. It's not all that bad really, except the part where my feet are always freezing. The rest is fine.
I need to remind you that I'm not the one who grew up in Wisconsin, but I seem to be 100x more acclimated. I even sleep in a tank top and shorts with no socks on while my husband the human oven is wrapped up in socks and long johns. Even the cat has to be under all of the blankets.
Anyway, I started this post with a purpose. I think.
OH YEAH. I wanted to brag. School was cancelled tomorrow because of the cold which gives me an un-needed but VERY welcomed day off from work. I'm glad because it was going to be a late night of wrestling and swimming. It's not that those things are difficult, it's just that I'd rather be lazy.
So what will I do with my time off? I might shower. I will probably blog about our vacation finally. Maybe get caught up on the DVR. It will be a fabulous day.
So for the rest of you who are reading but aren't experiencing our weather or *THINK* it is cold where you are (hi Karon!), try this one out and get back to me (and cross your fingers and pray for those without homes and for those pets with completely stupid and irresponsible owners):
Issued by The National Weather Service
Milwaukee/Sullivan, WI
9:02 pm CST, Wed., Jan. 14, 2009
... WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 12 PM CST FRIDAY...
AN ARCTIC HIGH WILL PUSH INTO THE DAKOTAS TONIGHT... SENDING VERY COLD AIR SOUTH INTO THE GREAT LAKES. THIS COLD AIR WILL REMAIN IN PLACE FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK. AIR TEMPERATURES EXPECTED TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT ARE THE COLDEST OBSERVED OVER SOUTHERN WISCONSIN IN 13 YEARS.
LOW TEMPERATURES TONIGHT ARE EXPECTED TO DROP INTO THE LOW 20S BELOW ZERO OVER MUCH OF SOUTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN... AROUND 18 BELOW OVER SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN... AND AROUND 13 BELOW NEAR THE LAKE. BRISK NORTHWEST WINDS BETWEEN 10 AND 20 MPH WILL PRODUCE DANGEROUS WIND CHILL VALUES OF 35 TO 40 BELOW.
:::as I wickedly and selfishly cross my fingers for Friday off too:::
5 comments:
I unfortunately, had to go out in this crap to go to work. These are the days that I wish I worked in an education field. Sigh.
We splurged and turned our heat up to 67 but normally we have it at 64 when we are home and 62 when we are not home or sleeping.
Have you considered going on the budget plan with WE Energies? Basically it averages out your bills across 12 months and you will have 1-true up in that 12 month period. We pay a flat rate of $186 all year long. Our true-up month is February so our bill will be more than but it works out okay. And, despite what people think, even with the budget plan, you are only paying for your actual usage. I think this plan because it helps me budget better because I know what my monthly bill will be.
Oh, and my heart also breaks for those without homes, or enough money to heat their home as well as the pets outside because their owners are assholes. I swear, I would kidnap the animal if I saw one left outside -- and my husband would just have to deal with it!
Oh my goodness I hadn't appreciated quite how cold it is in your part of the world, stay safe!
Wow. Even our electric bill isn't that high and my house is pretty big. Thank God for woodstoves.
You can come sleep in my basement spare room. Its a toasty 79 degrees in there from the stove.
hi love. i saw the weather report for Chicago earlier this morning and thought of your silly california ass living in wisconsin. haha. i thought last winter was the coldest ever! and now this?! :) i was in a bikini top and shorts washing the dog in the back yard. almost broke a sweat. haha. miss you always. stay warm!
Hopefully that will be your highest. Well, next month might be comparable after that cold snap. I saw on the news some sort of weather proofing caulk that is removable. I wonder if that would help. Keeping the 2nd door closed at the front of the house helped a lot. I also put the plastic up over all the windows with one big sheet instead on individually. Not sure if that makes a difference. You and Corey can borrow Loki. He is a furnace, but you have to have a blankie for him:)
Last winter I slept next to the window with it open half the time and temp set at 54 and John in long underwear, but i was also a big fat pregnant lady.
Post a Comment