July 9, 2007

A weekend in the absence of income

Another weekend down...who knows how many like it to go.

I can't say that it was a bad weekend, because in the absence of spending money...well, any money whatsoever, we made the best we could of it.

Saturday morning I got up with the intention to start my day with Couch to 5k, day 3 of week 1 since I had skipped out the day before due to the enormous blister on my heel. Well, that didn't happen either because it was already extra sweaty and humid outside and I decided I had plenty to accomplish in the apartment.

Task #1: Go through all the giant rubbermaid boxes in the spare room and clean that room up.

This is where I learned that between the two of us, Corey and I have more army uniform stuff than 2 people who were in for 20 years should have. Seriously - how big should a pile of folded brown undershirts be? I think there were 30 of them. PT uniforms? What size do you need? Would you prefer the old style or the new? BDU's - do you prefer woodland camoflage or desert? Boots - jungle, jump, desert, or cold weather - take your pick. I had little sorted out piles of EVERYTHING all over the room. After several hours (and several breaks) I had all of the uniforms, hats, PT's, cold weather gear, ponchos, chemical suits under control and condensed in to one giant rubbermaid container and one army green duffle bag. That is when all other potential tasks were erased from my memory.

I hope that someday our kids will open up that box of stuff and be proud of their parents (especially their dad) and glad they kept all that army stuff. Maybe someday my son or daughter will go to school for show-and-tell and say "These were my mommy's combat boots." or "Here is the dried rose my daddy picked for my mommy in Saddam Hussein's rose garden in 2003." Even if they don't, I'll still be happy that all that stuff is condensed, sorted, and neatly folded in that box.

Later on, we decided it was time to amuse ourselves so out came the Trivial Pursuit and the stockpile of Miller Lite from the fridge. The game started off as usual - Corey with most of the pies, and me with none. Then it finished the way it always seems to - I catch up, and then win the game :)

Current standings:

Jessie: 2

Corey: 0

Once I was victorious in TP, we managed to kill a good half-hour throwing wadded up pieces of paper to (and at) our catnip-stoned cats. You can buy them all the store bought toys in the world but nothing is better than catnip and crinkled up paper. They're simple cats.

The rest of the night was spent finishing off the beer pyramid and watching Old School. After the depressing week we had with no job-luck, it was great to laugh and have a genuine, mellow good time again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m doing the couch to 5K program too! This is my second week at week 1 (I only did one workout the first week). That iPod program sounds really neat — too bad I don’t have an iPod!

My goal is to do Race for the Cure in September.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Good to hear from someone else who is doing it. Race for the cure sounds great…I should think about doing it - I’ve never done anything like that before.

Do you listen to any music when you run? You could maybe download the podcast and burn it to a cd. Just a thought

Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

I’ll have to send you a list of things we did when we first moved here that didn’t require any money. I was surprised at how many things there are. The Miller Brewery tour is one thing I remember.

Anonymous said...

That would be fantastic! Thank you!

I’ve got some good news to post later today, too

Anonymous said...

Oh oh oh - did your fiance get a job?

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker