March 30, 2008

So we registered today...

...and I don't think I'm a fan.

Plus, it seems so strange - like we're thinking "You don't have to get us anything, but if you do - here, get this..." All I really want is for some people to show up and have a good time.

We don't know what we'd want, have pretty much gotten over anything we would "need", and we are used to getting by with what we have. We don't know how we'll want to decorate in the future. We've kind of always been in a constant state of limbo and have no idea how to be in one place yet. By the way - when I say "limbo" I'm talking about our job/school/apartment status, not our relationship. Our relationship is more or less the only constant we've had in our adult lives.

We bounced around in the army, obviously. We've moved every year. Sometimes to a new apartment, sometimes to a new city, and once to a new state. This summer isn't going to be any exception since we're hoping to find a cheaper and better place to live. I've got a little under a year and a half of grad school left, and then there will be yet another change and finding yet another job.

Right now the thought us of ever needing/wanting some kind of nice non-everyday dishes (aka - china) is ridiculous - let alone needing 12 PLACE SETTINGS worth of it. No way. We aren't fancy. We don't entertain. Then, factor in the part where we wonder who the hell would even buy something like that for us anyway? No one we can think of. And if we did end up getting a couple settings, would we ever go buy the rest of them? I doubt it. The least expensive set we saw happened to be the one we liked the most, but still - I'm pretty sure that stuff is all coming off of the registry.

Honestly, with the exception of the lifetime warranty pots and pans and the wine/champagne/beer/drinking glasses, I'm tempted to delete the entire thing. I won't do this, but still.

Can't we just register for a new catalytic converter for my piece of shit car? New tires? An oil change?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I registered for china because it was pretty. I didn’t get one single piece of it and I don’t care. The likelihood of me every entertaining somone that would expect china is highly, HIGHLY unlikely. I’m not a fancy person. Hell, my MIL thinks I”m fancy for using real (hand-me-down-from-my-grams antique) dishes on Thanksgiving.

Register for stuff you will USE or you’ll be stuck with a bunch of vases, decorative bowls and pieces of crystal that just sit in your storage space until you move and say “What the f–k is this shit and NOW what do I do with it?”

Not that I’m in that situation or anything…

Anonymous said...

This just made me smile, thank you! How do you really feel? j/k

We definitely only registered for stuff we’ll use, with the exception of the china. The more I think about it the more I think we would use it because the stuff we chose is casual - not that fancy pretty swirly stuff.

I dunno. I’m mulling it over.

Anonymous said...

You probaly can register for those things! I think you can register for pretty much anything you want…Home Depot has a big wedding registry business.

Or, register at some place like Macy’s that sells everything, and then just return it all. Then you can buy what you want…like clothes or new furniture or whatever.

Anonymous said...

The best gifts we recieved were not from our registry. These include an apron with a skeleton on it, a mix cd of alterna-indie love songs, and an itunes gift card. Our friends rock.

Anonymous said...

I thought I would love registering but found that I just hated it.

What about a Home Depot, Menards, Lowes or Sears registry?
You could register for some non-conventional items — floor car jack (yes, we registered for this AND received it!), tools for the house, rachet straps for future counch sneaks :), etc. I know you are in an apartment now, but eventually this would be stuff you would need. The problem would be storing it until you need it.

Anonymous said...

Girl! Register for those tires. Why the hell not!!!! Why register for the typical things. I’d much rather buy a friend or family member something I KNOW they really want, rather than something that was scanned just because it’s fun to use the scanning thing at Target!

Anonymous said...

Andy and I dreaded registering because it seemed overwhleming. We thought we didn’t need anything until we took a good look at our crappy pots and pans and old towels. Then the gifts started rolling in and I had NEW stuff. And more gifts came, and more. . .it was like Christmas every day when the packages came! I won’t lie–I missed it when the wedding was over.

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker