October 22, 2007

Deja vous

It's October in southern California, the Santa Ana winds are crazy, and everything is on fire. Again.

My mom called me a little after 7:00 this morning to tell me that when she went to bed last night there were two fires, and this morning at 5 am pacific time, there are 9. NINE! The winds are blowing hard to the west and the fire is moving fast.

In October 2003, when I still lived in San Marcos there were a few large fires that resulted in several people I know getting evacuated from their homes, but luckily everyone I know was ok. Now it happening again, but this time the winds are worse and blowing towards even more heavily populated areas, including my mom and step-dad's house. The closest one to them earlier this morning was only 3 miles away. The think this one might make it to the ocean from interstate 15 - that is a long ways for a fire, and between the 15 and the ocean is where a ton of people live.

I don't know what to say. I'm worried about my family. I know from a few years ago that the air outside is almost impossible to breathe. I know my youngest sister is freaking out. I'm about to get ready to go to work while my family is making sure they have everything ready in case they need to take my sisters, the dog, the cats, the birds, and their most important belongings and make a run for it. To where though?

This is what makes it hard to move so far away from your family. The ability to do nothing to help them when something happens.

To read about it and see pictures click here or here .

Update: The only fire that has been contained is the one that was closest to them, so they aren't getting evacuated for now. There is still another one in Escondido about 5 miles from them, but they don't seem too worried about that one. I talked to my youngest sister on the phone and she, of course, is still petrified. Right now it is 90 degrees outside with 30 mph winds and gusts up to 50 mph. My mom said they can hardly see outside and absolutely can't breathe out there. At least they are safe for now.

Another Update 10/23: They are still safe and at home. Everything seems to be on fire around them, but nothing close enough to have them worried for now. It's still really smoky and ashy outside, so no one is going out there - except my step-dad of course, who still spent the day fishing.

One more update 10/25: Everyone is my family is fine and safe. It is still really smoky and disgusting outside. Last I heard Camp Pendleton is still on fire and was evacuated yesterday or early today. Camp Pendleton is far enough away from my family, but it is where most of my mom's clients are and she spends a lot of time there. A lot of people in San Diego have been able to return home, and I pray that most of them still have homes to go to.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what it’s like to be far away and feeling helpless. Whether it’s someone’s health, a natural disaster, or just a personal disaster. It sucks. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Keep us updated. I pray the fires stop! I can’t imagine, it must be so awful.

Anonymous said...

Thanks ladies. I just updated the post - the fire closest to them is the only one contained, but there is another one not too much farther away.

Anonymous said...

Your family is in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with your family.

Anonymous said...

Thank god they contained the closest one. I hope things get better from here!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jessie–it is worrisome to have your moms,sisters, Tim, and the animals so close to this awful mess, isn’t it? We’ve talked to your mom most days this week, and Grandpa has talked to Bailey at least twice–she sounds pretty calm now. Your mom says it’s a bit of a task to find things to keep them occupied, since they’re in “lockdown” because of the ash and air. I’m feeling they are really fortunate to be in the one area that has had no need for evacuations, and it does seem things are settling down with the weather. The fires will probably take longer to get under control. I’m very impressed with the responses from protection/fire/government services and the relative calm of evacuations, as compared with Katrina. It is a bitter irony to me to see folks hanging out in relative comfort in Qualcom–however, am VERY glad it’s there as an accessible evacuation site–and remembering the awful mess in New Orleans.

If I haven’t said it before, I think your new hairdo looks marvelous on you!

Love, Marge

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker