October 26, 2007

Fall break? That never existed in my day.

The phrase "Fall Break" is something I dreamed about as a kid. Never ever in my life did I think it actually existed! Fall break is alive and well in the two places that affect me the most: The high school I work at, and the college I go to. As a graduate student I don't actually get a fall break, but the undergrad student athletic trainers that work with me at the high school do. They are getting almost a full week off from work. Guess who their favorite athletic trainer in the world is right now? Yep. Me!

I have the high school football team to thank for these days off. They lost their playoff game on Tuesday so now the season is over. That made me jump up and down and squeal with delight very sad for them - they are a great bunch of kids. Better luck next year!

Anyway.

I'm having the laziest, most awesome day off. I woke up at 11, and that was only because I wanted to watch the drama unfold on The Young and the Restless. I finally took a shower around 1, and then I put on my sweats, plopped my happy ass down in the papasan chair, and started getting caught up on my stories (Private Practice, CSI, Grey's Anatomy). The most action I've seen today was when I got up and did the dishes and wiped down the counter while Corey went grocery shopping and to pick up some good ol' fashioned Taco Bell. Mmm mmm mmm!

My friend Caron sent me a text message to let me know the Fresno State vs. Boise State game is on ESPN2 so that is what I'm doing now. I'm obviously still in the papasan. While I don't remotely miss Fresno, I miss Fresno State a little bit. It's a good school in a hot and shitty city. It's so funny to watch TV and see people I know in the frame at all times. The players, the coaches, and especially the athletic trainers. I miss the athletic trainers. Some were my bosses or teachers, some were my friends, some were both - and here they are on ESPN. I'm getting nostaglic. Over Fresno. Let's take a moment to define "nostalgia" for a moment, shall we?

Nostalgia: a longing for the past, often idealized.

Idealized. Exactly. I do this for the army too. Anyway....

I was on ESPN once. Wanna see? I was hauling ice bags. No, the dude was not pointing at me. He was motioning to the ROTC kids and the crazy student section. But there I was. Right on time. Some of the ROTC kids were looking at me because I was the one that kicked them out of the cart I needed to use to get that ice. TWICE. They gave me a lot of lip until I told them I knew more about the army than they ever would.



Here is another thing that made my day brighter. Some of you may or may not know anything regarding the interesting living situation Corey and I were in the last 6 months we spent in Fresno. Long story short: We lived in a house. With 2 other couples...4 dogs, and 5 cats (2 of the cats are ours). It was...interesting. I won't go into too much detail but we did learn a lot from it. For example...we are not the live with other people kind. Sometimes it was a great time, some days I wanted to choke people were not so easy. It was definitely the contribute to the deliquency of minors party house. We're not big partiers anymore. Or excessively sociable for that matter.

Anyway, I digress. A little bit ago I had a messaging conversation with Pat, who is a very good friend of ours and who I was stationed with at Ft. Lewis. He is working on becoming a corrections officer (which is awesome, btw). Because Pat is working towards becoming a corrections officer, the other couple that was there while we were is moving out. They are paying $180 per person to live in a house with no lease, no real landlord, and no pet rent or deposits.

So WHY are they moving out you ask? Well...let me tell you.

They are moving out because they CAN'T SMOKE POT there anymore. After all, it's Pat's fault for having a goal. Shame on him.

I wish them the best of luck in finding another living arrangement that sweet for them. :D

Awesome huh? Yeah, that's who we lived with. I will say that neither of them are bad people. They are nice kids. Maybe a little misguided. But still kids.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never had fall break either… I am jealous.

Sounds like your roommates were the same people as MY roommates 5 years ago. I’m pretty positive. It’s gotta be them.

HOW did you get a screencap of when you were on TV?!!? How cool!!

Anonymous said...

They could be the same people, or at least closely related

I got the screenshot because I had Corey TiVo the game and I took a picture of the TV with my camera. I’m so lame! It was going to be the last game I ever worked there so I wanted it recorded in case I or someone else did something goofy on TV…sure enough! I was in a hurry and had no way to walk around the cameraman so I just went.

Anonymous said...

Your day off makes me really jealous. Although I’d subsitute Young and the Restless for Days Of Our Lives.

Anonymous said...

I just wanna say that caption made my day…. I remember it… I was on the other side of the camera… waiting patiently for that damn ice…. hahaha… still makes me laugh out loud. oh the glory days… I miss State also….

Anonymous said...

I guess if the pot is that important to them…lol.

Pretty solid cameo on ESPN…that is more famous than I have ever been!

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker