December 22, 2007

Vicodin is not the answer

Some facts about most of my days:

I sleep crappy. It takes 1-3 hours for me to fall asleep most nights. I sleep 8-10 hours on most nights, yet I wake up in a painful, groggy, fibromyalgia fog. I'm not very awake or functional until I've been up for a good 3 hours or more. I'm sure my 3 minutes of REM sleep are really NOT helping. In order to fall asleep in less than 2 hours, I take a super strength anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer. This is my life. It sucks, but it's not as melodramatic as those fibromyalgia commercials.

Anyway.

I haven't refilled my prescriptions yet so I'm out of my usual concoction (which I realize isn't a good one to begin with), so last night I took one of Corey's vicodin thinking I'd at least fall asleep really comfy before I woke up feeling like ass.

Not only did I fall asleep about 15 minutes after I laid down, I slept all night. And I had dreams. DREAMS people! I hardly ever dream anymore, and when I do they are bizarre and morbid.

That isn't even the best part. The best part is that after 7.5 hours of sleep and only one hit the snooze button, I was awake...and alert...and ready to bounce my happy ass out of bed and accomplish things! I actually felt like I slept. I never feel that way. It sounds lame, yes...but to me it was amazing. And refreshing. I don't remember the last time I woke up feeling as good as I did today. Now that is sad.

By the way - I can tell you with 100% certainty that I am not depressed. I am well aware of how depression feels.

Corey got up and went to work out, I got up and thought about all the things I could get done and wanted to do and wondered where to start. I started with the stereo. Then I danced. I DANCED. In the livingroom. And the kitchen. IN THE MORNING. I did dishes, cleaned the disaster of a kitchen, cleaned the livingroom, took a shower, and packed my bags for Madison all in the 45 minutes Corey was gone.

I realize there are a hundred reasons why vicodin is not the answer to my sleep and pain problems. I'm ok with that. I'm even more sure that this was an isolated incident and taking vicodin some other time won't get the same result, but it was worth feeling so good just one day.

I will be needing many more of these good days. You could even say I'm addicted to good days after just one dose. I'm also impatient.

My doctor better not be on vacation later this week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi love. glad to hear that the cure to all of your pain can be solved with one little wonderful white pill. life is good.

Anonymous said...

dude i don’t remember the last time i took a vicodin…but i can say that i always slept like a baby when i did!

Anonymous said...

Vicodin has been a life saver for me the past month or so! And like you, I sleep wonderfully with it. Unfortunately, now I need to make myself stop taking it.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you were suffering from Fibromyalgia. I wonder if mentioning to your doctor that the Vicodin had such a positive effect could lead him to find a better solution for you. Maybe there is a specific ingredient in it that is also in something suitable for a long term plan.

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker