March 11, 2010

70/365. Never Want To See This Again.


This is the sun rising up over Dallas...well...a little north of Dallas. You know...north enough for us to be able to "use approved electronic devices".

I wish I had posted this when it was a little fresher in my head, but I've pretty much been out of it ever since. Here is the short version...or not.

We were supposed to go from Orange County to Dallas to Milwaukee. Well...thanks to some massive winds and thunderstorms in Dallas, our original OC flight was cancelled. Then our next flight was delayed by a little over an hour. No big deal, right? No. Still plenty of time to get our connecting flight to Milwaukee!

So we get to Dallas and find out that our flight out of there was also delayed by a little over an hour. Again...no big deal. We'll grab some food and head to our gate.

And then our gate changed. And then it changed again. And again. And again. And - I kid you not - no less than 4 more times. Maybe more. It's hard to say. I was getting the updates on my phone - which was nice at first, but then became a curse. After the 5th change, we stopped moving. Corey woke up VERY sick that morning and hello...I'm mega-pregnant. Anyway...all these gate changes can't be good, right? Right.

Text message tone rings again...our flight has been cancelled. OH HELL NO. Apparently there was zero visability in Milwaukee due to fog. So I'm on the phone with American Airlines (an airline I never want to fly on again, by the way) trying to figure out when we can get out of there because it is getting late at this point. What does she tell me? Well...one of us can get out tomorrow night, and the other on friday. This was WEDNESDAY. Say it with me, people. OH HELL NO.

We had to work the next (not to mention the next night at my part time job) and the fact that I'd already had to take a day unpaid for the trip (and another unpaid day from the food poisoning) was going to make for some ugliness all around. So the very unhelpful chick on the phone tells me to go to a ticket counter and see if they can get me something else. Uh...thanks. Of course by now the ticket counter lines are Disneyland-deep by now.

Ticket counter guy confirms it... 1) They can't get us out on the same flight together because our reservation wasn't made together, and 2) We can't get home until tomorrow night. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Oh, and they can't put us up in a hotel room...we have to pay for it ourselves. But here! Have this really crappy discount at the Holiday Inn Select! Thanks.

And then, maybe because I was being extra nice (really, I was!), or maybe because we looked extra pathetic with Corey being so sick and my being so pregnant...the skies opened up, unicorns flew down on rainbows, and the dude got us both on the 6:00am flight direct from Dallas to Milwaukee. YAY...but not really.

So we wait for the shuttle with eleventy other people...for about an hour. It finally comes. We get on the freeway, and the driver starts out with "Oh...by the way, for those of you that are leaving early...our shuttle service doesn't start until 6 am, so if you need to be at the airport early, you'll have to take a cab!"

Uh. Awesome. "How far is the hotel from the aiport then?" we ask.

"17 or 18 miles!"

STFU. Are you kidding?

Awesome.

We get to the hotel and immediately try to crash, because by this time it is getting close to midnight. Except...Corey can't stop coughing. Neither of us slept for longer than *maybe* 30 minutes at a time at the most, and the alarm went off at 4. I had already given up and gotten in the shower by then. Miserable.

$65 dollars of hotel, a $40 cab ride, and no sleep later...we got ourselves to the airport at 5 am. We were home and in bed by 10 am. I was going to try to go in to work at noon so as to only miss a half day's pay. Yeah...I woke up at 3. So much for that work day.

Oh, and Corey forgot his phone in the hotel room. We're still waiting for it to find its way home.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker