December 15, 2007

Nothing turns strangers into friends quite like alcohol

...and the internet, but that doesn't apply in this case.

Last night we went to Corey's company Christmas party - a dinner cruise along the Milwaukee River and along the shoreline of Lake Michigan - and had a damn good time. I finally got the chance to meet his co-workers and their wives so it was nice to put faces to the names I always hear.

In the winter the boat leaves from the Rip Tide Bar & Grill so the whole group met there and got started on some drinks before leaving. The plank we walked down from the restaurant to the boat was a steep, slippery, death trap but somehow we made it on ok. I have no idea how long our cruise was, but the food was great, the drinks were free, and the views were beautiful.

Since much of the Milwaukee River is frozen and parts of the lake are icy, many Titanic jokes were made. The first time we started cruising through ice was in the harbor around the summerfest grounds and Discovery World. At first we were all wondering what that awful noise was, but then we looked out the window. Corey and one of his co-workers went outside to check it out and apparently we were breaking through a 2 inch sheet of ice. This happened again a little later on our way up the river.

After the cruise, a bunch of us stuck around the Rip Tide for more drinks and to listen to the live music (and by "live music" I'm referring to one little older guy with a guitar and a microphone...) which was fun. The guy performing kept getting people in the bar involved by handing them other weird instruments to play along with him. This is the part where Corey played the cowbell [insert funny Will Ferrell mental images here]. He didn't have a lot of rhythm but he had a damn good time doing it. His co-workers also played the washboard, the tambourine, moracas (sp?) and a lizard...whatever that was.

The Rip Tide closed pretty early, but Corey and I and another couple were no where near ready to turn in so we went up Water Street a ways to some place that there is no way I will remember what it was called, and after that we went around the corner to some other place called McGillycuddy's for more drinking and to play some pool. We finally called it a night around what was most likely 2 am.

Why yes...of course I took pictures!















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the picture of Milwaukee- I have been here for years now and still I have never been on one of those cruises. I think it might be time…

Anonymous said...

It was a lot of fun, and the view was beautiful! I think they only go from December to April though, so you better hurry! Or I guess you could wait…either one.

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker