September 26, 2007

Help! I need a new book to read.

I just finished Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (which I loved) and I need something new to read. Anyone have any suggestions?

I’ve kind of been out of the reading world for awhile. I’m not picky - as long as it’s not one of those cheesy romance novels with some creepy Fabio look-a-like on the cover holding on to a woman whose boobs are about one second from falling out of her peasant blouse.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I hadn’t seen your blog yet! I love it! Sorry to hear your feeling sick, but even I, the worry-wart, doubt that your brain is leaking.

Anyway, I don’t know what you’ve read before, but Devil in the White City is a good one. Anything by David Sedaris. Jane Austen? I think I could read Pride and Prejudice every day for the rest of my life… Good luck finding reading material!

Anonymous said...

your=you’re. doi.

Anonymous said...

I was JUST going to come on here and recommend Devil In The White City. It’s great! I’m a big fan of Augusten Burroughs as well (much along the same lines as David Sedaris

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I just went and looked up Devil in the White City and it sounds like something I’d love. I don’t think I’ve read anything by David Sedaris, either, so I will look in to that.

It’s been so long since I’ve read books regularly that other than the Harry Potter series, I’ve pretty much only read things by Anne Rice and John Grisham. It’s time to broaden my horizons a bit.

I REALLY need to go get a library card. Supposedly there is a library not too far from me, but with all the construction going on over there I saw nothing resembling a library.

Anonymous said...

Huh. We read Devil in The White City for book club a few months back. It was interesting, but slow. I had to skip all of the architecture stuff and only read about the murderer.

I love the library.

Anonymous said...

I HIGHLY recommend North River by Pete Hammill. It’s awesome.

And I second KBB - Jane Austen rocks. I could read Emma every week and never get tired of it.

Anonymous said...

Anything by Jodi Picoult, Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.

Um. I shall think of more. I love books.

I think I need to check out this Devil in the White City business you’re all talking about.

Anonymous said...

All good suggestions, thanks! Tomorrow on my lunch I’m going to see if I can get a library card. Sweet!

Anonymous said...

Krista, I have Devil in the White City if you want to borrow it.

Anonymous said...

Jessie- I’m not sure where you are in the city, but the city libraries are very nice. I live next door to the central library and it’s wonderful. And I used to go to the ones in Shorewood and the East Side (North Ave) and they were great. You’ll definitely enjoy them! Yay Socialism!! (I kid, I kid.)

Anonymous said...

I live in the NW, bordering Menomonee Falls. There is supposed to be a library on 76th and Mill but with all the construction I didn’t see it when I went looking one day. I’m going to try the one near where I work since it’s actually more convenient for me to get to.

Anonymous said...

Ooh Ooh - I second Jodi Picoult. She’s awesome. Particularly Nineteen Minutes, Vanishing Act, or My Sister’s Keeper

Anonymous said...

I second The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Fabulous book.

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker