Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that I am able to have free medical care through the VA, or else I'd have nothing. I've had too many problems with my car accidents, strep throat, etc to be able to get away with not having it.
But seriously...
They've had my paperwork to enroll me into their system here in Milwaukee since the end of June. Why does it take 3 months...THREE...to have my first doctor visit? September 26th is a long ass way from the end of June. Also, why did Corey get his appointment a month before I did? They got our stuff the same day.
I woke up at 3 am with this crazy intense pain in deep in my right hip that was radiating to my back, butt, groin, down my leg...everywhere...with no explanation for it. Let me just say that I'm not a wuss, but this pain was so random and awful that I was ready to drive myself down to the VA urgent care in the middle of the night. I think the only thing that stopped me was the fact that I'd probably waste the gas to get down there and they'd say no because I wasn't "in their system" yet or some other shit that I didn't want to hear at 4 am. Nothing was helping and I definitely couldn't sleep so Corey suggested I call the 24 hour nurse line that I didn't know they had.
I made the call at 4:15 am. There was no answer and they tell me to leave a message with my name, last 4, and phone number. It is now 1:30 pm and my call has not been returned. It doesn't matter now anyway since the pain isn't as intense, but still. That is crappy.
Now for why I feel like a jerk:
After this whole random middle of the night ordeal, I managed to fall asleep again a little before 6 am. My alarm was set to go off at 6:30. Corey called me at 10:15 to see how I was feeling and asks if I went to work or called in. Called in? It's not even 7 yet...OHHOLYCRAP! I looked at his clock and saw the real time and realized I was supposed to be at work at the PT clinic almost an hour and a half earlier. I called and they were nice about it, but I feel like an ass. I only work from 9-12 there two days a week so going there at that point wouldn't have made any sense. It's just crappy because they are busy on Mondays and were counting on me. Ugh.
On a happier, and equally uninterestingtotherestoftheworld note, it is chilly and raining here today, which I love.
4 comments:
I called the VA regarding a client last week, and after gong through the roller coaster that is the automated voice answering system, and finally getting a human (who was very rude to me by the way), I was told that my client did not exist. I thought maybe I did something wrong, because I’m an intern, and it was my first day. Now I know that THEY are the idiots. I hope you feel better!
Thanks, Evie, I actually am feeling a lot better. The whole thing was really random.
Don’t ever feel like an idiot when dealing with the VA. I’ve been dealing with them for over 5 years now and it’s the same crap at all of them. I’ve lucked out and beem assigned to 2 great doctors and the other San Diego and Fresno VA’s, but the rest of the staff I’ve dealt with totally suck.
I’m sorry you are still having to mess around with the VA bullshit. Unfortunately, healthcare always manages to be a pain in the ass. I get to go deal with planned parenthood next week because I have no insurance. That should be a bundle of joy! And by the way I totally disagree with the last line of your blog…I love it when it’s cold and rainy. Not me!!!!!! Me like hot and sunny!
Love ya girl and hang in there!
That’s why you live in Southern California and I don’t
Have an awesome time at PP!
Post a Comment