IRL: In real life
Last night I met my first FIF. I've always been really hesitant about people meeting people from the internet in real life because it's always seemed really weird/scary to me, even though it is so common now. Then I moved across the country.
I was really excited for grad school to start (boy did that change fast) because I thought I'd meet some people that way, or through my GA position. Then came the reality: My classes are online, and I work with high school kids. No and absofreakinglutely not.
So back to now...
Last week Brooke, who I know from theknot.com's Milwaukee message boards, wrote me an email inviting me to a concert since her fiance couldn't go and we are both new to Milwaukee and need to meet some people. I didn't even hesitate - yay for getting out of the house and meeting a real live person! She always seemed quite normal and not in the least bit like a creepy internet weirdo. Boy was I wrong! No no no, I'm just kidding.
Anyway, she picked me up at my house and we drove downtown and decided to eat at Rock Bottom on the river. We ate out on the patio because the weather was perfect and the food was absolutely delicious. Then we headed back across the street to the Pabst Theater to see the band Okkervil River who I had never heard of until Brooke invited me to see them. Okkervil River was great! I love all kinds of music and things with a more unique sound. I think myspace lists them as "indie rock" (I don't really know what that means, but who cares, I liked 'em). This is going to sound weird but they kind of reminded me of a cross between The Killers and Counting Crows.
A funny highlight of the evening: We were sitting at the end of a row in the back and it was very dark in there. I got up to go use the bathroom and apparently there was a step there at the end of our row. Yep, I fell (almost) on my face on my very first FIF "date". No real harm done but a minor ankle sprain (and temporary loss of some dignity), but that step is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Brooke (who just passed the bar exam) was ready to be my lawyer, and I could do my own rehab. It was meant to be. Needless to say I won't be suing the Pabst for their lack of lighting...it's just fun to think of ways to use the things we each just spent our gazillion years of school learning to do.
Oh...and then I almost fell again at the end of another row. It was even light in there and I was warned about it before I did it again. I caught myself this time...mostly. There are reasons I shouldn't be allowed in public.
Anyway, long story short: good company + good band + beautiful smaller venue = damn good time.
Also, I hope whoever cleans that theater is very happy with the $15 of mine they found somewhere on the floor.
7 comments:
I just want to thank you for inviting me to the lovely world o’ blogging. I got your e-mail about the “new” site at 7 am EST this morning… it is now 11 am EST and have officially caught up on your world…. but have nothing done in mine. I LOVE PROCRASTINATION! Love you! Glad to see things are looking awesome!!
and… on a side note… Grad school is easy whether you love it or hate it. It’s just like busy work a substitute teacher would give you when the real teacher doesn’t come into work. It’s annoying… (but it does add two more letters after your signature
Glad I could help
I like your description of grad school work - I think that thinking about it that way might help me a lot.
YOU should start a blog!
Awww, I love first date stories.
First time visiting your blog and I think I’ll stick around a while =)
Thanks Christi! Welcome!
I’ve lurked yours from time to time because I see it on a few of the other blogs I read. :)
Hi, Jessie–wow there’s a lot of catching up with you that I just accomplished by reading this. I hope that you and the VA are in sync by now and that they’re providing the medical services you need. Do you have a diagnosis for this back/hip problem? It sounds a lot like Grandpa’s sciatica/back pain of recent years.
Hope your ankle injury doesn’t affect you in the Komen run (are you walking or running?) this Saturday. I’m so thrilled that you are participating. The year I was diagnosed was the first year they did the run in Portland, and I felt so pleased to be able to walk it with Grandpa, Jody and Ron, and my brother Jim–it was very empowering to be well enough to participate. I think we’ve done it 3 other times since then; part of me would love to go this weekend, but they expect 45,000 people in Portland, and there would be no reality for Grandpa to be involved–and crowds that size make me totally crazed–so I stay away from them.
Am glad you’ve read and enjoyed Harry Potter–I loved it–actually ordered it ahead of time and retrieved it the day after the midnight “offering.” I also loved the most recent movie.
We’re enjoying a beautiful early autumn day here and want to see lots more of them before the wind and rain set in for winter.
Hugs to you and Corey. Love, Marge
Hey, ask your friend what Ernie and I can do about our contract w/ Heritage Complex–the facility we are to have our wedding/reception at… they just notified us that we will not be able to get into the facility at 8:00AM as we have been told for the past 2.5 years b/c of a crab feed that is booked the night before (it’s been booked a year and a half longer) because of the necessary clean up. As I’m sure w/ all events, ours was from 8am-12 midnight and there’s a hour after that for THEM to clean up… but they said because of the event, clean up will take until at least 11AM the following morning… which leaves us a few hours to decorate then clean ourselves up and take pictures then head to the ceremony ;0l Lemme know if there’s anything we can do! Love ya! Miss ya!!
GM/M - I just wrote you an email since it’s been a couple days and it was a long response.
Jo - I don’t know her well enough to ask her legal questions for someone. I am pretty sure I know the answer anyway though. All you can do is check your contract. If your contract says you will be able to get in there at 8 am, then they legally have to honor that. If it doesn’t say 8 am in your contract or anywhere in writing, then there is nothing you can do about it. It doesn’t really matter who got there first or how much longer.
I know that probably isn’t what you wanted to hear, but unfortunately that is how it is. If your contract does specifically say that you get it at 8 am and they are still telling you no, remind them that it is a legal contract and that if they don’t hold up their end, they can expect legal action.
Post a Comment