January 23, 2008

Trip to Dr. Dumb

I can't stand my doctor, but at least I finally saw her today.

She gave me Trazodone. It's also an anti-depressant, but it is commonly used for sleep disturbances. And fibromyalgia. Which, along with chronic fatigue syndrome, she doesn't think exists. I believe her exact words were "Bullshit."

Classy.

She also felt the need to tell me things like make sure I don't watch tv in bed, keep the room dark, don't think about stuff when I'm laying in bed, don't drink caffiene past 3 or 4 pm, and on and on and on and on. I kept telling her that I know all of that stuff and I have been following all the rules of "sleep hygiene" and blah blah blah and she insisted on listing them off to me again. Because I'm clearly as big of a moron as I feel like she is.

Oh yeah...and I wrote out most of (if not more than) the things she told me BACK IN JULY, before I ever even met her worthless ass. No, not worthless - she can prescribe...I can't. Drugs are good sometimes.

Seriously, I wish I had a recording of the conversation, because based on everything she said to me today, I could be a doctor. I already knew all the things she tried to tell me about the various things we talked about, AND I can read notes off a computer screen.

The only good thing that came out of this was her convincing me that yoga would be really good for me. I don't know when or where I am supposed to find the money to go to yoga classes. Anyone recommend a good video? Good classes that aren't too spendy somewhere? I think I'd like it a lot and that it would help. I need to focus. I need to relax. I need to de-stress. I need to work on a lot of things. Yoga is good for this.

So anyway, I'm ok with the trazedone for now, especially since not sleeping and brought on more anxiety and depression than I'd like to admit. I was hesitant to put this all "out there", you know - in the blogosphere. You never know who is lurking (or in some cases you do and just don't give a shit), but I feel better when I put stuff out there, so whatever. This is me.

PS...I apologize for using the wikipedia page for Trazodone...it was the first one that came up. Just remember kids that wikipedia is rarely a valid source of information.

PPS...How funny is it that one of the potential behavioral side effects is uncontrollable laughter?

PPPS...And sex drive increase.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So . . . you might think about changing doctors ???

And–does the college offer yoga as a class? If so, that might be an inexpensive way to try it out. Long, long ago I did it for a bit and thought it was nice, and I’ve incorporated little bits of it into my own stretch/relaxation routines. It seems to me that a meditative, relaxing routine could be very nice for you. And I suspect there are some very good tapes/cds out there but don’t know what they are. I hope you get some good suggestions!

Hugs, GMM

Anonymous said...

I hope you’re able to sleep soon! A rested mind and body can help clear up all the other little things that snowball.

Anonymous said...

As for yoga, I’d search as hard as you can for a class. I know, it sucks. But having just started yoga classes, I can’t imagine beginning it with a video - I’d likely be doing it all wrong, and therefore ruining the benefits of yoga.

I think if take just a few classes and get the hang of it and make sure you’re doing the poses correctly, then switching to a video would be fine. But it’d be hard to start with. I’ll see if I can find something for ya.

Anonymous said...

Do you have digital cable through Time Warner? If you do, there is a fitness channel (can’t remember the number) with lots of programming, including yoga, on demand.

Anonymous said...

lifetime has yoga in the morning with denise austin. when i remember to do it, it seems to help me get to sleep.

Mandatory Obnoxious Outside Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker